Q:I'm 20 and I've liked Bane since I first got into hardcore years ago, and ever since (for the most part) people around my age into punk and hardcore would joke about them and the fact that I like them. I feel like a bunch of people are fucking "posers" though, because they're the same kids who loved Cruel Hand/ Expire (bands like that) one week and then are too punk for it. Subcultures are dumb, but yet, I am still involved in one.
No need to put posers in parenthesis. It’s a real phenomenon.
Here’s how it goes:
Mall kid; alt nerdo; etc
Entry level hardcore or punk
Gateway band hardcore
Sub genre hardcore (time to specialize)
Hardcore archivist who jocks old shit
Not using the word hardcore anymore, preferring variations of ‘raw punk’
Black metal and/or becoming a lawyer or teacher
Bad news. A major vulnerability, known as “Heartbleed,” has been disclosed for the technology that powers encryption across the majority of the internet. That includes Tumblr.
We have no evidence of any breach and, like most networks, our team took immediate action to fix the issue.
This is frankly very alarmist for a few reasons. Firstly, the vulnerability was responsibly disclosed which means that affected systems already have a patch available. Secondly, the precise exploit is unlikely to reveal private keys, usernames, passwords etc since it only snapshots 64kb of memory being held by the compromised server. That memory could contain a lot of things, including security information, but not necessarily. Finally, if your usernames and passwords had been stolen using this vulnerability, it would almost certainly have been exploited already, and you would have probably noticed.
So according to my potential supervisor at the University of Denver I’ve won their Dean’s Fellowship, worth tuition + grad teacher stipend…so I guess I’m not going to have to teach for my first year. Pretty sweet.
Got an official offer from the University of Denver to study in their graduate physics programme. Pretty awesome. Just gotta wait for the official letter, then get a visa.
Q:I think we found your gravestone pat: "here lies Patrick Kindlon - I sang poorly about off putting things"
When I travel abroad, I leave my parents with a sealed manilla envelope. It’s only to be opened upon news of my death.
The contents are two pieces of looseleaf paper. Written in crayon:
MY GRAVE SHOULD SAY “PATRICK KINDLON HE WAS DOOOOPE”
DON’T GO THROUGH MY STUFF, FOR REAL. COMPUTER ESPECIALLY.
Q:You spoke earlier about men letting go of their hate. Is there anything I can do to speed that process up or do I just have to wait it out? Serious questch.
If we’re still talking about that resentment young men harbor towards women, yeah, here’s the secret:
When someone does something ‘wrong’ by you, realize it’s not a function of their gender, but a byproduct of being human.
That’s it. When a female romantic partner, or potential partner, or someone you admire from afar behaves in a way that jilts you or makes you feel insufficient, do not say, “fuck, women are stupid.” Instead, say, “goddammit, people don’t behave the way I wish they would in my frighteningly myopic and self-obsessed mind.”
Because, that’s what’s up.
All the disappointments and hurt you associate with women would just as soon come from men if you were interested in men.
You want things to go your way. You want women to notice you and love you for who you are. You feel rebuked and then resentful when they don’t acknowledge you’re the coolest.
But their failure to fawn over you has little to do with their gender and everything to do with the fact that they’re human beings with their own set of priorities that don’t necessarily include loving you.
Let’s go through a list of the logic fallacies young men marry themselves to. This could also be a list of pop punk tropes.
- Women should recognize your value, but don’t.
- Women can’t be trusted.
- Women care about superficial things.
Now, let’s look at those claims put through the lens of a thinking adult who isn’t wearing an American Nightmare hoodie over his Descendents tattoo.
- Why would anyone recognize a fucking thing about you? There’s 3 billion males on the planet. You’re gonna have to assert your greatness if you have any at all. A potential employer can’t see into your soul, and neither can a potential romantic partner. Why did you make that shit about women?
- People do people shit. Meaning, they speak in the moment and act in the moment. When those moments are separated by even a couple seconds, you can expect some discrepancies between the two. You do this all the time, just like every other human, regardless of gender. Why did you make that shit about women?
- Women are universally marginalized. In most every population of marginalized people, you’ll see evidence that material goods and appearances take on an added importance. That only makes sense, though, of course, this generalization says nothing about the individual. However, YOU DON’T EVEN NEED TO GET THAT SPECIFIC WITH IT. Because all of fucking humanity, marginalized or not, is superficial as fuuuuuuuuck. Half the time a dude is crying that he’s getting passed over for rich dudes or cool dudes, he’s passing over less attractive women. BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTS THE SHIT THAT THEY WANT, THEY JUST CREATE GOOFY STORIES TO JUSTIFY THEIR WANTS OVER OTHERS.
In short, realize you’re actually just a bitter goblin. Own that for a minute. Recognize it’s misanthropy, not misogyny, that’s got your nuts in a vice. Only then can you start working through your bullshit.
Q:I assumed the snapchat question was more in the nature of "what do you do to make the acquaintance of these ladies tell me so I can do the same. REALLY, because titties is dope."
Here’s the full scope of my knowledge of women. No charge.
- When they look nice, tell them they look nice
- When they say something funny, laugh
- Be actively engaged when they’re telling you something heavy
- Use Emojis